Monday, February 18, 2013

Storms

For some reason I've always been fascinated by thunder storms. It just so happens that Malaysia is quite well known for its tropical storms. If you fly into Kuala Lumpur (KL as the locals call it- something like how we refer to LA), in the afternoon the captain will probably talk about the weather being stormy. The weather here is, of course, very different from the Oregon weather I am used to. This is a tropical country, which means heat and rain! Though I've been here for 10 months, I still revel when a tropical storm comes in the afternoon. Mind you, it is like a big thunder storm with a downpour of rain that can typically last for 1/2 hour to an hour. The downpours are certainly not what I am used to, and I think they are rather cool! Also, the excitement of thunder clapping LOUDER than I've ever heard... just makes me want to huddle up and watch! 

Well, Today we had the first storm in a while come through- complete with lots of lightening and thunder! As usual the power went out... about 5 times. I get so excited, it's like I'm 5 again. I remember being 4 or 5 living in Missouri with my family... when a thunder storm came, we would go into the big room with the wood stove (it had a huge window). I would sit on mom or dad's lap and we would watch the storm, I always found it so exciting! So today, I begged my hubby to come sit with me as we watched some of the storm :) 

Here are a couple photos from today!

I guess the plants don't need watered today.


You can barely see streaks in the photo- that is the rain downpour!


And, even though this was not taken today, proof that we get rainbows in Malaysia!


No comments:

Post a Comment